The proposal should not exceed 10 pages and include at least the following items:
1. Summary of the research plan
In your summary, please present the background and rationale of the project, list its overall objectives and specific aims, mention the methods to be used, and briefly discuss the expected results and their impact for the field and beyond. The summary (max. 1 page) must be written in the language of the research plan.
2. Research plan
2.1 Current state of research in the field
Describe your project in the context of the current state of knowledge in your field. Make reference to the most important publications, particularly by other authors. Please describe (max one page, characters 12 pts):
- which previous insights provided the starting point and basis for the planned studies
- in which areas research is needed, and why
- which important, relevant research projects are currently underway in Switzerland and abroad.
2.2 Current state of your own research
Please present the research work you have already undertaken in the relevant field, describe the results obtained so far as well as the relevance of these preliminary undertakings for your project. For a follow-up to an already approved project, please report on the work conducted within the scope of the previous project and the results obtained (max 1 page, characters 12 pts).
2.3 Detailed research plan
Based on the information provided under 2.1 and 2.2, please specify the approach you are taking and the concrete objectives that you aim to achieve in the period of funding.
- Describe the studies or experiments needed and/or envisaged to reach the set goals. Assess the risks involved and propose alternatives if necessary.
- Characterise existing sources and datasets and describe the data collection strategy and possible alternative strategies.
- Explain the role of each member of the research team (incl. applicants, employees, project partners and collaborations).
Your description should be as detailed as is necessary to enable an expert to assess whether your methodology is appropriate and your project feasible (max 5 pages, characters 12 pts).
2.4 Schedule and milestones
Please compile a schedule that includes the most important milestones (max 1 page, characters 12 pts).
2.5 Relevance and impact
(max 1 page, characters 12 pts).
Please describe the expected impacts of your project for the discipline and for science as a whole (research and education/teaching). Please mention the form in which you wish to publish your research results (articles in science journals, monographs, conference proceedings, etc.).
If you have submitted your application in use-inspired research, please indicate whether and to what extent the proposed project will have a broader impact and what this impact will be. The following points should be addressed:
- Define the need for research as perceived by practitioners/industry. Are there any knowledge gaps? What innovations and improvements are expected?
- To what degree can the expected research results be put into practice?
- In which spheres outside science could the implementation of the research results entail changes and what is the nature of these changes?
List the sources of all concluded and/or ongoing work referred to in the research plan. Give the full reference, especially the title, source and full author list. The bibliography is not included in the max. number of 10 pages.
Prof. Michel Boulvain
Coordination and support for research project requests
Joseph Michael Schwab